Jim Sturtevant first stepped in front of high school students in the late summer of 1985. Jim predicted he would teach a year or two, before pursuing something grown up: go to law school, get a PhD, or enter the private sector and earn a fortune. But, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum. Jim fell in love with his students. Could one really get paid for bonding with young people? The answer was…ABSOLUTELY! And still is, some thirty years and thousands of students later. “Your students seem so relaxed and happy. How’d you create this atmosphere?” Caught off guard, he gave a meager and vague response. After much reflection and research, Jim finally answered the question in You’ve Gotta Connect.
In this episode you will learn:
- How James develops relationships with his students
- Why relationship develop is just as important, if not more important, than content knowledge
- How to connect with those students that seem disengaged and reluctant to learn
- Ways in which you can take strong relationships and turn them in passionate learners
- What administrators should know about student connections and why they are so important in the learning process