David is a 7th grade science teacher at TK Stone Middle School in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. His goal is to inspire wonder in his students as they explore science, gaining the science literacy that they need to be successful members of society.
Find David on Twitter @tkSciGuy
Check David’s website dedicated to the Next Generation Science Standards
In this episode you will learn:
- David’s journey as a teacher that includes teaching in an alternative school, being a librarian, and working as a middle school science teacher.
- How to recognize the emotional needs of each grade level.
- Why students need love and support at all ages
- How to rescue a failing lesson
- Ways to build academic muscles through scaffolding
- Why schools can not follow a business model
- The unpredictable nature of teaching middle school and why that is a great thing
- How to be with each student in the moment and take it one step further by supporting them outside the classroom
- Ways in which students can read like scientist and write like reporters
- How Voxer can improve your teaching
- A book every teacher should read Empowered Schools, Empowered Students: Creating Connected and Invested Learners